Tone It Up
Healthy Chocolate Muffins
Posted By :
Posted On :
Apr 29, 2013
This recipe is for healthy chocolate muffins. They are made with no added sugar, no dairy products, and no oil. The key ingredients include agave nectar, applasauce, Greek yogurt, and oats.
- 1 3/4 cup quick oats
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup applesauce (I used Mott's homestyle applesauce. 1/2 cup ended up being one whole 24 oz. plastic single serving container)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used Fage's. 1/2 cup ended up being one whole 17.6 oz. plastic single serving container)
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt (or just normal table salt if that's all you have)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup agave nectar
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips + 1 more cup (you could use peanut butter chips instead or white chocolate, whatever floats your boat)
The steps are super easy:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 muffin pans (12 each) with cupcake liners & set aside.
- Blend all ingredients together except the chocolate chips. Blend until the oats are as smooth as you like them. I like them chunky so I don't blend for very long. Use a food processor if you'd like. I use a handheld mixer.
- Stir in 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Scoop the mixture into the muffin pan. Fill them only about 3/4 of the way. They will rise, but not much.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Remove the muffins but leave the oven on.
- Use the rest of the chocolate chips to top the muffins. Put as much or as little as you'd like.
- Bake again for 10 minutes.
They don't rise much and if they do, they will sink back after having cooled down.